Saturday, February 6, 2016

But God...He Already Knows

"...but your Father already knows your needs."
Luke 12:30

These words from Luke 12 jumped off the screen at me today: "..but your Father already knows...." I was immediately comforted and reassured by them. Have you ever had a "discussion" with a teenager and he/she replied with the conjunction "but?"

"But I want to..."
"But it's not fair..." 
"But I need to.."
"But mom..." 

Isn't that the case with us and our relationship with God? When something is not what we want or if we don't get our way we say, "But God..."?!

I've had some "But God..." moments. And by moments, I mean many, many moments.

"Angelica I need you to pay for this woman's pretzel." 
"But God, I don't want to make a scene."

"Angelica, I need you to study my Word every day when you wake up."
"But God, I am not a morning person."

"Angelica, I need you to be patient."
"But God..."

Oh, yes, I've been a "But God" BRAT many, many times! I tend to think I know more about what I want or need than God. So, when I read these words from Luke this morning, I was not only comforted and reassured, but I was also pierced with truth.

The surrounding verses talk about all the things we fret over, and verse 30 begins, "These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers all over the world." All my "But God" moments were about me fretting and not putting my faith in Him. Just like teenagers tend to do with adults who care for them and know what is best. We can be assured our Father in heaven cares for us and knows what is best. In fact, He already knows our needs before we do.

"Angelica I need you to pay for this woman's pretzel." 
"But God, I don't want to make a scene."
"But Angelica, I already know you're afraid of being foolish. I got you."

"Angelica, I need you to study my Word every day when you wake up."
"But God, I am not a morning person."
"But Angelica, I already know that, which is why I'll wake you and provide the energy you need."

"Angelica, I need you to be patient."
"But God..."
"But Angelica, I already know. Wait for me. Trust me."

I just need to change my "But God" worries into "But God already knows" or into "But God has this," and instead of questioning Him with a "But God...," I can now confidently respond with a "Yes God." That's the comfort and reassurance and truth I have.  I hope you do, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment