Monday, January 9, 2012

Prayer Boxes




The other day I read Francine Rivers' book "The Shoe Box," which is a Christmas story about a foster child, Timmy, and the shoe box that he takes wherever he goes. Timmy doesn't let anyone see what is inside the shoe box, and when he is asked about what's in it, he simply replies, "Things."




Various events take place throughout the story, but the most standout event is the Christmas play. Timmy is one of the wisemen, and instead of using one of the props as the gift to give the King, Timmy gives his shoe box. By the end of the story, all is revealed as to what was inside because Jesus has opened the shoe box and has displayed all of the items.


The story plus what Francine Rivers wrote in the preface inspired me to find a prayer box. Francine Rivers writes about how difficult some of her burdens were when she first became a Christian. She had made a box and wrote down her prayers to put into the box so that she wouldn't have to carry the burdens anymore. I find myself not so much carrying burdens but trying to control certain areas of my life. This is why I have decided to have my own prayer box.



Therefore, I set out yesterday to one of my favorite antique malls to find the perfect prayer box. I don't care too much for shopping unless it is antique shopping. That is my retail therapy. I'll shop for clothes if I need to, but I'd much rather go antique shopping. I love the stories antiques seem to shout as they sit there all cluttered and used.





Anyway, I found three vintage tin boxes that I absolutely loved! So I really could have three different kind of prayer boxes if I wanted to like one for thanksgivings, one for letting go of control, and one for noting God moments. I'm definitely sticking with the one purpose of the prayer box, which is to let go of control so that I can live a more intentional life for God.


I then went to Michaels and found a pretty shabby chic notepad on which I could write my prayers. My prayer box is designated for the things I keep asking God about but I'm not actually trusting Him to have control. I wrote down one right away yesterday, and I already feel I've let it go because I know now in a more tangible way that God has it. It's remarkable how writing something down releases it!






Matthew 6



25“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

No comments:

Post a Comment