Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Let There Be Light

My hallway had a drab ceiling light.  I don't know if it once had a globe around it to make it something special, but when I moved in, it was anything but spectacular.  I had tried to ignore it because it did, afterall, provide light, which was all I needed.  However, my attentiveness to decorative detail could no longer ignore the all-exposed, plain lightbulb. 

When I removed the old light, it left a rather large ring on the old popcorn ceiling.  Instead of just putting up the new fixture, which was actually an old fixture a friend had given me, I wanted to cover the ring.  Finding paint to match would have been possible; however, I also wanted to add a decorative touch to the hallway.  I had thought a medallion would do the job nicely as well as fit in with the nostalgic feeling of the house.  Ceiling medallions are fairly inexpensive, but I just didn't want something I'd have to paint.  Also, I didn't feel the size of the medallion would be right for the space.  As a result, I went in search of another idea.

I found this decoupage tray at a local antique mall.  It is made of some kind of resin or cardboard-like material--material, anway, I knew I could drill through.  When I held it up to the ceiling, it reminded me of the painted ceilings in Rome.  It was perfect for the decorative-detailed look I wanted!

 I drilled through the tray, and with some longer screws and help from a friend, my new light was hung to the tray on the ceiling.  Now my hallway has gone from drab to fab! 

I love my new light fixture and the little touch of color the tray gives the ceiling.  Most of all, I love the way light can make a space.  How true is this in our spiritual lives?  Jesus Christ, the Light of the World, can make all the difference in the spaces of our hearts.  He illuminates all the dark places, and he brightens our dull lives.  His light of love always shines spectacularly.  He is the decorative detail of our lives.

"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'"  --John 8:12

2 comments:

  1. Um, I can't explain how I felt when I was reading this. First, I think the idea is great, and it looks amazing. Second, I am so inspired by the way that your faith is so apparent, so connected to your daily life. Cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this. I'm so encouraged by your words. I'm beginning to see how God connects Himself to us in our daily lives. Truly His Light is always shining!

      Delete