Saturday, March 2, 2013

What I Want

23 
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

Psalm 23:1

I have A LOT of wants.  I wanted creamer for my coffee this morning, but didn't have any.  I wanted this past year to have turned out differently than it has.  I wanted successes that I did not receive, I wanted dreams I could not reach, and I wanted a life I have not lived.  I'm drowning in a sea of unmet wants.  

Psalm 23 throws out the life ring to keep me from drowning: "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want."  I shall not want because if the Lord is the shepherd of my life, I have no need of anything.  He will guide me, protect me, provide for me, and give me more than I could have ever even wanted.  

As I write this, I sip my black cup of coffee with a new realization that most of my wants aren't what I really need and I can live an enjoyable life without them.  How much more will my life be once I live a life following my shepherd and His wants for me?  I am eager to begin a new journey: to want nothing but my good Shepherd.

No comments:

Post a Comment