Monday, September 24, 2012

Be Still

I'm learning.  I'm not just learning to be still; rather, I'm learning that by being still, I am more able to learn.  "Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him" and "Be still and know that I am God" are two phrases in the psalms (37 and 46 respectively) that command us to be prepared to learn.  I know that when I am teaching, I feel I have my students utmost attention when they are still.  I feel they are more willing and apt to hear what I'm going to teach them when they aren't fidgety and talkative.

Being still isn't just about being quiet, being immobile, or being at peace.  It is about being a willing student ready to learn from the Master Teacher.  It's putting aside all distractions, emotions, stresses, and control.  It's about listening to the Shepherd's voice and letting Him lead.  It's about trust.  It's about hope.  It's about faith.

Be still and wait patiently.  Know God.  Trust Him.  He's got you, and He wants to teach you something.  His power is made perfect in our weakness. Be still.

No comments:

Post a Comment