Saturday, September 22, 2012

Live Contentedly

"I’ve learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I’m just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I’ve found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am." Philippians 4:11-13 (MSG)

I'm inspired to aspire a life of contentment.  When I'm discontented, I complain.  When I recognize all the ways of which I am blessed, I give praise.  Therefore, to live a contented life, I must live a life of thanksgiving.  God in His mercy and grace has given me (and you) a promise of eternal life.  What more shall I (we) be in need of?  Yet, in my sinfulness, I want more--more attention, more affection, more acceptance.  I have been promised all of those; and yet, I want more.  I have been discontented because I haven't been thankful.  I've been focusing on what I don't have, instead of what I do.  I want to be like Paul, who says in Philippians 4 that he has learned to be quite content whatever the circumstances because he has learned to be who is in God.

The way I see it, to live a life of contentment no matter the circumstance, I must immerse and keep myself immersed in Christ.  It's like I've been dipping my toes in the pool, but I haven't plunged in.  I've been shivering in the cold because I haven't been under the waters of God's warmth.  I lose my sense of self when I'm not swimming in God's Word. 

I went to a Hillsong concert last weekend, and for two-and-a-half hours I was totally saturated in worship and praise.  I couldn't imagine being anywhere else or doing anything else.  I would've stayed in that place forever.  Indeed, it gave me a glimpse of heaven, but it also showed me that when I'm in complete worship, I am in complete content.  I need nothing.  I am full.

My recipe, then, for happiness and contentment is to live a life of gratitude that gives glory to God no matter the circumstance.  How great is our God and most worthy of praise!  Immerse yourself today in His word.  Give Him thanks for He is good and His love endures forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment