Sunday, February 17, 2013

Resisting A Good Thing

Most of the time I fail to remember God has feelings. I forget that when I push and resist God, He feels hurt. I know I feel heartbroken and hurt when someone I love pushes me away or doesn't want me a part of his life even though what I have to offer is good, pure, and without any strings attached. Doesn't God offer the same? And yet, I resist Him.  Why would anyone push away a good thing?

I know when I resist a good thing, it's because I don't think I deserve it.  The truth is, I probably don't deserve any good thing; the lie is, the good thing offered is not about me.  When God is blessing me, for example, He is blessing because it is about His extravagant love.  It is not about whether or not I deserve the blessing.  My resisting is saying, "God you're not good enough because I'm not good enough to accept the good thing."  Um, hello?  How nonsensical is this thinking!?

Jesus' death and resurrection made me (and you) good enough to receive every good thing from God, no matter what.  I am most certainly not good enough on my own.  God, however, is always good.  I need not resist Him and cause unnecessary hurt because He, at all times, accepts me for who I am.  Thanks be to Jesus for making me good enough.

I say to the  Lord , “You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.” 
(Psalm 16:2 NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment