Sunday, January 27, 2013

To Do or Not To Do

"I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.  For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing."
Romans 7:18-19

The biggest challenge I seem to have is going against what my natural self wants to do.  I can create "To-Do" lists all day long, but when it comes down to completing that list, I suffer trying to finish.  I become discouraged and overwhelmed.  I really want to get my life on track, but it seems sometimes that the more I try, the harder it is. 

The thing is, I know that once I push through all the natural forces that hold me back, I feel amazing that I persevered and that I overcame instead of being overcome.  How do I push through, though? 

The first step is to equip myself by spending time in God's Word. Without His guidance, encouragement, and wisdom I wouldn't have the motivation or nutrition I need to push through.  The next step is to go against every natural force.  Get up when I want to lay down.  Prepare when I want to procrastinate.  Complete a task when I want to put it off another day.  Do whatever it takes.   In the words of Nike: just do it.  I need to just do and not try to think so much.  Finally, I need to throw off the guilt that tries to hinder forward movement because I will fail; I will have setbacks, but if I keep going, if I keep standing up after every fall, then eventually my legs will be strong enough to finish the race.  In other words, if I keep on keeping on, I will get my life on track.  I will complete my "To Do" list.  I will finish this race we call life.

No comments:

Post a Comment