Monday, April 1, 2013

Controlling Thoughts and Renewing the Mind

    Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2
Thoughts can be consuming.  The "What ifs?" and the replays of the past and the uncertainties of the future can flood a person's mind until the point of drowning him or her.  I am constantly swimming in the thought-pools of things I didn't do, things I wished I would have done differently, and things I dream of doing or having  These thoughts are distracting and disturbing at times.  They can keep me up at night and keep me from things I should be doing in the present.  I hang onto some of these thoughts because it seems that only in my mind I have control over them.  I know in my heart, though,  this isn't so.  

The more I am consumed with my thoughts, the less I am consumed with Jesus.  I have no control over my thoughts except when I hand them over to the Lord.  Romans 12:2 talks about being transformed by the renewal of the mind.  The renewal of my mind happens when I hand over to God each consuming thought that is not centered on Him.  This is an intentional discipline needed to renew and strengthen the mind much like exercise is an intentional discipline needed to renew and strengthen the body.

Therefore, holy brothers and sisters, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, whom we acknowledge as our apostle and high priest. 
Hebrews 3:1

Lord, I give you authority over my mind and my thoughts.  I hand you each thought that steals me from being fixed on You.  I want to live today in love for You.  Renew my mind and transform it into the likeness of You, Lord Jesus.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment