Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Prayer Babble

And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
Matthew 6:7-8

My small group and I just finished Philip Yancey's study "Prayer: Does it make any difference?".  The answer is....yes, it sure does!  Prayer makes all the difference in our faith and in our relationship with God.  It is a partnering with God and His purpose for our lives.  Prayer is conversation with God, our friend, our Father, our constant companion.  That's what I gained the most from this study.  I can talk to God just as if He is right there on the couch next to me sipping His cup of coffee as I sip mine.  God is not unreachable.

I used to be so nervous praying out loud because I was worried what about what people were hearing me say.  The truth is, people hear me speak all the time when I'm having conversations, so why should I worry about what they hear me say in my conversation with God?  Philip Yancey says that there is no formula for prayer and no right way to pray.  Jesus said in Matthew 6 that God already knows what we are going to pray for so don't worry about the "right" words.  Just pray.  Just talk to God as you would your best friend.  Just talk.  God wants to include us on the purposes for our day.  He wants us in on the conversation.

I resolve to begin each morning with a meeting with God so that I may be prepared for the day.  I pray that you would meet with Him, too.

In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;
 in the morning I lay my requests before you
    and wait expectantly.
Psalm 5:3

No comments:

Post a Comment