Sunday, July 21, 2013

Necessity is the Mother of . . . Creation

Since everything God created is good, we should not reject any of it
but receive it with thanks.
1 Timothy 4:4

The other day, I bought a new bag to carry my laptop; and although, it was a great buy, it did not have any place to hold my pens and pencils.  So, I had been throwing them into one of the pockets and had been fishing around for them when I needed one.  I would cringe when I pulled out a pen with the cap off because I really didn't want ink all over the inside of my new bag, nor did I want it on my laptop.  Consequently, I decided to shop for a pencil pouch. 
 
None were attractive or inexpensive or as small as I wanted it to be (I didn't have room for a big lump in my laptop bag).  So, I decided to make one.  I had never made one before, but I have sewn pillows.  The shapes are similar and the only difference, really, was adding a zipper, which was done first in the process.  I later added buttons to cover-up my novice sewing (a.k.a. crooked lines).  I sat back after my creation and smiled in amazement. 
 
How amazing it is that God gives the ability to create.  I thought about what He must have felt after creating the universe and everything in it.  I think that the seventh day was not rest as in sleep, but rest as in sitting back and marveling at all He had made.  I know that a handmade pencil pouch is nothing in comparison to the universe, but, still, in some related way I learned to appreciate more the creativity of God, His wonderful works, and the gift of creating He has given to each one of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment