Saturday, November 9, 2013

Worship

"Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.'"
Luke 4:8

The other day I had business in Dallas.  As I was being driven back to the airport, I noticed there were police in their cars stationed in every driveway and road for about a mile to the airport.  Then, once I checked-in, I discovered that my flight was delayed as well as every flight trying to leave within the hour.  I walked to my gate and sat down bewildered because many people were standing all along the windows.  After a few moments, excitement filled the gate area, and more people briskly walked toward the windows while reaching in their pockets and purses to pull out their phones.  My gaze followed them to the windows, and there landed the plane of the President of the United States with the President on board.  Ah!  Everything made sense.

What amazed me by all of the hubbub over the President was the thought of worship that entered my mind.  What an odd thought to have!  But I couldn't help noticing how people prepared the way for the president, so I thought about if I did that for God when it came to worship.  Do I block all the pathways that would give access to dangerous distractions?  Do I take time to stop all the traffic that may interfere with my worship?  Do I honor God with holy reverence?  Do I excitedly rush to see a glimpse of God?

I can't say yes to all of these questions, but I can say I have a whole new outlook on how I must honor my Lord when it comes to desiring His presence in my worship.  We have it in us to prepare a way to honor God.  May He continue to bring us ever in awe of His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment