Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Fools Climb Trees

"He tried to get a look at Jesus, but he was too short to see over the crowd.  So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree beside the road, for Jesus was going to pass that way. When Jesus came by, he looked up at Zacchaeus and called him by name. 'Zacchaeus!' he said. 'Quick, come down! I must be a guest in your home today.'"
Luke 19:3-4

The story of Zacchaeus in Luke 19 always makes me smile.  To picture a man of wealth, of stature (both in achievement and shortness of height), and of intimidation climbing a tree just amuses me.  But I think more than just amusement, this story brings great admiration.  I admire people who are willing to look foolish for Jesus.  Foolish in the sense that they don't care what the crowd thinks; they care only that they see Jesus and Jesus sees them.  

I know I feel the most foolish when I feel the Spirit urging me to do something in faith.  For example, last week it was pouring down rain.  I mean, it felt like I was driving through a waterfall all the way home.  To get to my home, I have to turn a corner around a median in order to park.  As I was about to turn, I noticed a young woman standing on the corner with her arms crossed as if she was hugging herself.  She was waiting for the bus, and there was no covering for her to stand under except for a tree.  I turned the corner and parked my car.  I felt the Spirit telling me to go give her an umbrella.

I sat in my car, for what seemed like fifty minutes, debating with myself.  I could just go inside my dry house and ignore that nudging thought, or I could be bold and risk looking a bit foolish by going over and handing a complete stranger an umbrella.  Even now, as I share this, I feel more of a fool for debating what was obviously the right choice. 

Yes, climbing a tree to see Jesus is a risk of looking foolish to the crowd.  But a risk for Jesus is worth the reward of Him seeing you.  I found a spare umbrella in my car (not a coincidence) and drove back around the block to hand a most grateful stranger an umbrella.  When I parked my car the second time, I no longer felt the fear of foolishness pouring down on me like the rain.  Rather, I felt a bit of sunshine poking through and warming me within.  

Welcome Jesus into the home of your heart today by climbing whatever tree you need to climb in order to see Him and for Him to see you.  Truly, we are most lost when we allow the fear of foolishness to conquer our faith.  Go climb your trees, faithful ones, and don't worry about looking foolish or even feeling foolish, "For the Son of Man came to seek and save those who are lost.” (Luke 19:10)   

No comments:

Post a Comment