Monday, April 9, 2012

More Trials of Trust

Nothing challenges my faith more than trust. It's not that I don't trust God, because I most fervently do, it's that I don't put my trust in Him. I struggle daily with this. I try to control, manipulate, and badger God instead of simply putting my trust in Him and His Will for me. Ha! "Simply" I say. Simply and trust shouldn't even be seen in the same sentence.

Trust isn't as simplistic as I'd like to think. If it was, then why can't I put my whole life into God's hands and go on without another thought about it? Why can't I just entirely surrender myself to Him as I should? Why do I question, doubt, stress, worry, and impatiently pace about in my mind over things I really can't control no matter how much I'd like to think I can? If trust was simplistic, then God wouldn't ever need to test me.

Daily I hear God say to me, "Trust me," and pretty much daily I fail to fulfill this "simple" request. I put my trust in lies, insecurities, routines, my own limited knowledge and experiences, what I can see and touch, and in worldly things. I try to limit God, humanize Him, and lessen His love and care for me. This is why I need and welcome the daily trials of trust.

God is trustworthy. He is more knowledgeable, more powerful, more gracious, more loving, more caring, more concerned, more capable, more miraculous, more wondrous, and more everything. That's where the simplicity of trust can come in--knowing God is just "more." He's more than any situation, circumstance, worry, doubt, stress, struggle, failure, disappointment, joy, blessing, and plan. He is more, and if I would trust in Him, then I can be more too.

"No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us." (Romans 8:37 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment