Monday, April 2, 2012

Listening to His Sweet Voice

If I want to be more intentional in living my life for Christ, then I must listen to His voice. Romans 8 talks about living by the Spirit, and when we do, we must distinguish the Spirit's voice from all the other voices in our heads. I was reminded of this during the early hours of this morning.

Last night I went out to dinner with my lovely mother to a very nice restaurant. We ordered an appetizer of mussels. They were absolutely delicious! As we were eating and talking, I grabbed one of the shells and a (what I thought was silly at the time) thought came in my head, "Don't eat that one. It'll make you sick." As quickly as it came, I dismissed it. Well, guess what? Yep, I was sick in the early morning hours and throughout most of today.

Was that just a way for God to say, "See! I still speak. Are you listening?" Obviously, I have not been. What would've happened if I didn't dismiss that thought and tossed that one particular mussel aside? I can 100% confidently say I would not have been sick today. How do I know? Romans 8 was my devotion this morning, and I feel God has used this small,painful yet preventable lesson to teach me that He still speaks. I just need to start listening more to His sweet voice. If I easily dismiss it when it comes to little warnings with food (and why wouldn't He warn us of something that would unknowingly harm us), then how often have I dismissed it when it has come to big things?

I know one thing after this experience: no matter how silly it seems, I'm going to heed to His instructions. I don't want the unpleasantries that come when I don't listen. Intentionally tune-in to His station, and nothing but sweet, saving sounds will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment