Saturday, March 10, 2012

Complaining vs.Thanksgiving, A Challenge

All week my seventh graders and I have been studying the Israelites in the wilderness after they had crossed the Red Sea.  The complaining that came from the Israelites' lips is astonishing.  They had witnessed the most phenomenal miracles of God and had experienced first hand His protection and provisions; and yet, they repeatedly grumbled and complained and even said things like, "If only we had died in Egypt!"  In other words, the Israelites would have rather been enslaved again than to be with the Lord in freedom.  Hm, sounds familiar...

Grumbling and complaining comes from fear, doubt, dissatisfaction, insecurity, and uncertainty.  It is self-centered and prideful.  It is spitting in God's face and saying, "What You have for me, Lord, is not good enough and I do not trust you."  Sounds extreme, doesn't it?  Well, sin is extreme. 

What good comes out of complaining?  Absolutely nothing.  All it does is cause rifts in relationships, depression, and more darkness.

Thanksgiving, on the other hand, comes from appreciation, trust, security, hope, and knowledge that the Lord is good.  It is Christ-centered and humble.  It is praising God and saying, "What You have for me, Lord, is enough and I trust you with all that I have and with all that I am."  It is intentional and honorable.

What good comes out of thanksgiving?  EVERYTHING.  "For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving." 1 Timothy 4:4

God has challenged me to replace complaining with thanksgiving.  Instead of saying, "I didn't have any time today."  I should be saying, "Thank you, God, for giving me time in the day to do what I needed to do."  Instead of saying, "I didn't get my break today."  I should be saying, "Thank you, Lord, that I was able to serve You today by helping someone out."  Instead of saying, "I have so much work to do."  I should be saying, "Lord, thank you for giving me work to do.  Continue to bless it."  What an attitude changer!  Already, I am humbled by these thoughts and anxious to praise God.

I challenge you, too.  When the urge to complain comes, stop and replace it with thanksgiving.  If you do so, I warn you to be prepared to receive more eternal blessings.  God is so good to His faithful servants!

One last thing...
Trusting in God means waiting on Him even when we cannot see the Promised Land. 

Wait in peace and with thankful hearts.  All God's best to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment