Sunday, March 25, 2012

Running an Intentional Race

"You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what He has promised." --Hebrews 10:36

As I think about living more intentionally for Christ and not for myself, I realize what a challenge that is and has been and will be. I bet Paul after his conversion had to rethink his whole way of living. I suppose that's why I love his writings and teachings of running the race and putting on the full armor of God. He knew the biggest challenge of life is living a life for Christ, but he also knew it was the most rewarding.

"For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." (Philippians 1:21 ESV)

I am a runner. I love it. I love the feeling when I accomplish a long distance that seemed difficult at the start. The beginning is always the most challenging for me because I'm anxious to get it over with, my muscles are tight, and my body seems to reject any form of exercise. But once I overcome the ailments that the beginning of my run presents, I coast pretty well.

Approaching the end destination, though, can be difficult on some days. I may be out of breath, dehydrated, not had eaten well that day, have a blister, or cramped due to one of the aforementioned issues. If I push through all of that and persevere, I feel more successful on those running days than on the ones I coast through. I also know that if I stop and walk, which would be less painful and easier, then I feel defeated and unaccomplished even if I do finish the long distance.

Intentional living is so much like running a race or running a long distance. It's difficult to start because you have to go against everything you do naturally. You have to make an effort where there wasn't any effort before. You have to push through the trials that come (and trials will come because Satan does not want you serving the Lord). You have to keep running even if walking would be easier. Walking would still get you to the finish line, but you've just prolonged the race and the prize. Plus when you finish a race, a new one is waiting for you to begin. With intentional living, every day is a different race and a different distance.

As I write this, I can see why I have been having difficulty running my race of intentionality. I've been strapping on my running shoe but I haven't been tying them tight with the readiness I need for the run. Instead of running with the wind (a.k.a. the Holy Spirit), I've been running against it. I haven't been paying attention to the signs along the course, I've been going in my own direction. Because of that, I've had difficulty completing the race. The more off track I run, the longer I make the race.

I need to stay on course by spending time with God and His Word every morning so that I know the direction I need to take in the race that day and so that I have the power to run. I need to maintain my pace by praying unceasingly throughout the race. I need to strengthen my faith muscles by following the signs that say "Uphill battle ahead: Stay faithful. God is." I need to rehydrate at the water stations along the way by receiving the blessings of serving someone other than myself. I need to push through what is difficult and the desire to do what I want because in the end if I run the race God had designed for me and intended for me to run, I will receive the prize He has promised and I will hear Him say the sweet words of accomplishment, "Well done, good and faithful servant!"

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it." (1 Corinthians 9:24 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment