Thursday, January 19, 2012

Finding Joy in the Midst of Suffering

"But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed." 1 Peter 4:13

Finding joy when going through a trial is like trying to find a flower in a blizzard. Confusion, hurt, stress, and agony are some of the emotions that seem to accompany suffering. To rejoice when it seems as if the world is crashing down around you-or at the very least pressing down on you-is a ludicrous request; and yet, that is the very thing Peter writes as God's Will for us. "So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good." 1 Peter 4:19 When I commit myself to Christ during my sufferings, I, then, share with Him those sufferings as well as in His glory (vs. 13). His glory always comes just like the sun always shines after a storm. You and I can be assured that His glory will come. This is why we should rejoice. "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." (Romans 5:3-4)

This week I have suffered some, but nothing like Christ had done for me and for all of us. To live an intentional life for my Lord and Savior is to rejoice in my sufferings. And so I do. Joy cometh.

No comments:

Post a Comment