Sunday, January 8, 2012

New Beginnings

When a new year begins, we often hear the human attempts of new starts, new resolve, and a new me. We all want more, to be better. New beginnings like a new year reignite hope that faded with the passing of time. Just like a captain looking out across the sea and knowing ahead he'll find land as he takes his voyage, I, too, look out at this new year with new hope.

God deserves my efforts even in their smallest attempts. His grace is sufficient for me, and His love is abundant and unending. How do I respond to this love and grace? By going through the motions of each day like a hamster on a wheel? No. I mustn't anymore. Because even though it feels as if I'm moving, I'm not. The wheel might be turning, but I'm not going forward in any direction. This is not what God has intended for us, for me. He has called us (He has called me) to be more and to have more purpose than to go through the motions of life.

My resolution, then, is to live a more intentional life for God. What this means to me is to look for opportunities each day to serve Him, to do what He desires for me to do, to spend more time in His Word, to do the things that go against the natural flow of the day and the natural desires of the flesh, to go against what I may want, to be more grateful, and to look more actively for the presence of God in each day.

Intentional living needs accountability, which is why I began this blog. I will attempt to blog each day about how I'm living more intentionally for the Lord. I pray that this inspires others to seek out Christ who offers love, grace, forgiveness and freedom, and who has called us to something better: "God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect." --Hebrews 11:40

There may be storms ahead for me in this new year and with this new resolve. My ship may capsize, but I know for certain I will not drown. No, I refuse, in fact, to go down the the ship. I have a life-Savior who keeps and will continue to keep me afloat. I may drift, but I am determined to arrive to my destination. I will always look for the Light that will signal the shore is close. I will lift my sails toward the horizon of this new year, and I will let the winds of the Spirit guide me. Therefore, every effort I make to move my ship forward, I will make with intention. This is my resolve. This is my new beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment