Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Listening and Encouraging

Intentional living involves the simplest of intentions. Providing a listening ear and an encouraging word to someone who just needs to vent serves God. We all need assurance that someone cares. Everyone desires support, an affirmation that states, "You are okay."

I'm sometimes emotionally drained after listening and encouraging. I'm sometimes more stressed because I gave up time that I could have spent doing the things that I needed to accomplish. Yet, I never regret lending a listening ear and giving an encouraging word because I feel most complete in doing that small act of service for someone.

I want to do more than just the polite, "Hey! How are you?" I want to be more intentional by saying, "No, really. How are you? Is there anything I can help you with? Is there anything I can pray about for you?" I may never be asked that in return. I may exert all emotional energies listening. I may even receive a cold shoulder to my kind gesture. Regardless, I need to do this for the Lord, to be His voice and His light. I need to do this not only for those closest to me, but also for those I pass by daily but never really stop and say, "Hey! How are you really?" I need to be more intentional in listening and encouraging to those I'd least likely be intentional towards.

No comments:

Post a Comment