Saturday, January 5, 2013

A New Sun Rises


Confession: I've seen Les Misérables twice now since it came out just under two weeks ago.  I had seen it live two times as well several, several years ago.  The lyrics of this musical are intoxicating.  The story is heart-gripping.  The theme is inspiring. 

I think what captured my attention the most and why I had to see it again is the idea we all want more out of the life we are living, yet our past entangles us.  We all search for who we are because we were are is not where we dreamed we would be.  I believe we all have bigger dreams.  We all want to be better off than what we are.  We all need a savior.

I know I desire a new beginning, a second chance.  I wake up with the hope of the sunrise.  It is there, but it doesn't take long for the dark clouds to cover and for me to fall back into old habits.  Surrender and calling out to my Savior are the only ways the light returns.  New hope reignites. 

I know I may never cross off everything on my "To-Do" list, I may never organize that one catch-all area, I may never wake up at 5:00 a.m. to exercise, I may never drink 8 glasses of water a day, I may never publish a book, I may never fly to Greece, I may never fully give to others as I'd like, I may never get out of debt, I may never be able to correct the wrongs I've done, and I know I may never marry.  Yet, the sun rises and brings with it a new day. 

Like Fantine, I, too, have dreamed a dream; and even though I'm not living every dream and I seem to tangle myself back up in my past, in my failures, in my sin, I know that my God has bigger, brighter and more beautiful plans than I have dreams.  I look forward to the rising sun and the new day to begin.

"The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises."
Ecclesiastes 1:5

No comments:

Post a Comment