Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Time to Dig some Trenches


God never ceases to amaze me.  I love how He finds a way to speak to me whether it's through a movie, a book, a devotion, a person, a song, a stranger, His Word (of course), or any other form of medium.  My favorite way, I think, is when He speaks to me through me. 

I was teaching today about the story of Elijah in 1 Kings 18.  Elijah called on the Lord to consume the altar, which had been drenched in water.  As I was teaching, words came out of my mouth that I hadn't plan on saying--words that were wise and powerful and directly for me from God. 

I was explaining to my students the kind of faith Elijah had because he had dug trenches before calling on the Lord to consume the altar with fire.  Elijah knew he would drench the altar with enough water to fill those trenches and he knew that God would consume the altar with fire.  I'm not sure if Elijah knew the Lord would also lick up the water in the trenches (I think God always likes to add a little extra flare); regardless, he believed God would answer when he called upon Him.

As I was teaching this story, God spoke through me to me about how I need to do more than just believe He will answer my prayers.  I need to "dig my trenches" or in the case of the above excerpt from Facing the Giants, I need to "prepare my fields."  It's not enough to believe God answers prayers, because He most certainly does, it's about living in such a way that shows confidence God answers prayers.  For example, if I pray for healing for an ailment but not live as if God has answered that prayer and just wait around for Him to, then I'm not preparing my fields.  I've got to know that not only will God answer prayer, but He will also answer in a remarkable way. 

I resolve today to live in such a way that shows that the Almighty God has already answered the prayers I have called out to Him; so that when the answers come, then I can experience the glory of them and give the glory right back to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment