Sunday, August 5, 2012

Inspired by Boxes

Back in January, I began a prayer box.  I went out and searched for some antique tins to use as a box (see blog post dated January 9th) .  What I didn't realize was how quickly my prayers would fill that little box.  Consequently, I went out in search of a new box (really, anything that gives me a purpose to do some antique shopping, I do without hesitation).  With the help of a friend, the new, wooden box I found was perfect, except that it needed a face lift. 

The yellow glow of the box was inviting but the painted pears were not so inspirational when it came to praying.  With a bit of mod podge magic, I turned that tacky terrific wooden box with a latch into a vintage victorian prayer box.  I used scrapbook paper, some excerpts from Psalms that came out of an old unused Bible, lace, paint, wooden and cardboard letters, rub-ons, and some other decals I found in my craft collection.

I have been using this wooden box for several months now, and while the box is a lovely decorative display on my shelves, it is more of a reminder of handing over my burdened prayers to God.  So as I pass by this box every day, I am inspired to pray, to keep praying, and to trust in my God who hears all prayers whether written, spoken, or simply thought in my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Can I also say, as I stalk your blog, that I am so glad to see that you use Bible pages without hesitation! I made something for my niece's confirmation last year using Bible pages, and several people gave me a hard time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received some of that as well as some raised eyebrows, too; but once people saw that the Bible was being used (not abused), they seemed to warm up to the idea. I'm sure your niece treasured your gift!

      Delete