Sunday, August 12, 2012

Inspired to Memorize Scripture

I've been challenging myself to memorize more Scripture.  I began earlier this summer when I hosted a camp for middle school girls that taught them how to see Scripture in a more visual and poetic way. 

We made journals out of Mead Composition books and some mod podge.  I then asked the girls (and myself) to find a Scripture verse that inspired them.  Next, they were to write out part or all of the verse in any way, shape or form; but, they were to work on it for 15 minutes by adding color, images, and playing around with fonts. 


I continued this technique in my own devotional time.  I find that by saying the verse and creating something visual with it for that full 15 minutes, I memorize a whole lot better than by just reading the verse over and over.

I'm going to incoporate this technique into my classroom this year with hopes that the boys will find the visuals as appealing and helpful as the girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment