Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Inspired by a Question and John Wooden

A devotion was read this morning about the inspirational and legendary coach John Wooden.  He was asked a very poignant question by his friend John Maxwell:


When Coach Wooden was ninety-two years old, I interviewed him in a conference, and one of the questions I asked was how he wanted to be remembered. His response brought a gasp from the audience.  “I certainly don’t want to be remembered for trophies and national championships,” he said without hesitation. After thinking a moment he said, “I hope people will remember me as one who was kind and considerate of others.”

(http://johnmaxwellonleadership.com/2010/06/23/for-my-friend-john-wooden/)


What a humble response!  After reading this devotion, my principal turned to all of us teachers and asked the same question John Maxwell asked Coached Wooden.  How would we want to be remembered?  I instantly thought, "I hope people remember me as a child of God and follower of Christ."  But then, I furthered the thought into the question how.  How will people remember me as a child of God and follower of Christ? 

I'm inspired to live each day with this question in the forefront of my mind.  I pray that my faith will shine, my words and actions reflect love, and my presence brings peace.  This is how I want people to remember me: a woman of faith, love, and peace.


“Make each day your masterpiece.”
-John Wooden

No comments:

Post a Comment